Kohlrabi is a vegetable related to kale, cabbage and broccoli. It can be grown in green or purple varieties and has a white flesh. Both the bulb and the leaves can be eaten. Kohlrabi has been described as tasting somewhat like a cross between a cucumber and mild broccoli. It has a light flavor and a juicy, crisp flesh similar to an apple.
Health Benefits of Kohlrabi: Kohlrabi is a great source of Vitamin C for a healthy immune system. Dietary fiber for healthy digestion. Antioxidant compounds which help keep your body healthy. Low sugar, low calorie
Roasted Potato and Kohlrabi
- 2 Kohlrabi, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 lbs rainbow potatoes, halved
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon (zested)
- 3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs fresh parsley, minced
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme, minced
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 Tbs salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large baking dish put cut kohlrabi and potatoes (if the potato halves are too big, simply cut them in half again.)
- Sliver the garlic cloves (or you could press them) and distribute them over the potatoes and kohlrabi, then zest the lemon.
- Now take the olive oil and pour it over the potatoes and kohlrabi (I like to do about three turns of the wrist - each turn is about a tablespoon.)
- Sprinkle fresh herbs and salt and pepper over the content of the baking dish and then stir it around once or twice so that herbs and seasoning are evenly distributed throughout.
- Bake for 25 minutes, remove from oven and stir the potatoes and kohlrabi, then bake again for another 20 minutes. Check for doneness - a fork should go into the potatoes easily. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Spiralized Vietnamese Kohlrabi Salad
- 4 kohlrabi medium sized, spiralized
- 4 carrots julienned
- 4 green onions sliced fine
- 1 cup cilantro torn or rough chopped
- 1/2 cup basil torn or rough chopped
- 1/2 cup mint torn or rough chopped
- 2/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 limes juiced + zest of 1 lime
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1/4 tsp crushed chili flakes
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Combine spiralized kohlrabi, carrots and green onions and herbs in a large salad bowl.
- In a mason jar, add lime juice and zest, rice wine vinegar, garlic, chili flakes, avocado oil, honey, fish sauce and kosher salt. Put lid on and shake vinaigrette.
- Pour vinaigrette on top of salad and combine all ingredients with tongs. Let salad sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Potato, Corn and Kohlrabi Chowder Recipe
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups Organic Vegetarian No-Chicken Broth Imagine Brand
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3-4 small kohlrabi peeled and diced (larger kohlrabi has a very strong taste)
- 2 potatoes diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup grilled corn
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium high heat.
- Add in the garlic, onions, celery, corn, and carrots.
- Cook until veggies are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the kohlrabi, potatoes, bay leaf and parsley.
- Cook for 5 minutes and then add in the flour.
- Mix until it's incorporated.
- Gradually stir in the "chicken broth" while cooking.
- Bring chowder to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mix in the milk and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- *We like to top with a little smoked paprika for a smokey flavor.