Arugula has a distinct peppery flavor. It is closely related to vegetables such as cabbage, kale, and radishes. Arugula has made its way back into food as one of the healthiest foods available to mankind. It is mostly a part of salads, it is commonly known as rocket leaves or garden rocket.
Health Benefits of Arugula: Arugula has some surprising health benefits for cancer prevention, It is part of the top 10 anti-cancer foods. It also helps with weight loss, body detoxification, your skin, heart, eyes and more. It is also particularly rich in many important nutrients you need.
Tagliatelle w/ Arugula Green Garlic Cream Sauce (Demonstrated by Maxwell at the farm)
- 1lb. tagliatelle or preferred pasta
- 6 Tbsp oil of preference
- 4-5 stalks green garlic, chopped
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 Cup Half-n-half
- 1 cup (large handful) chopped arugula
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup (or more) of Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely sliced parsley for garnish
Begin to bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Meanwhile chop your green garlic, arugula, and parsley. Juice your lemon. Bring oil up to medium-low heat in large sauté pan or sauce pan. Add green garlic and stir often. If pasta water has begun to boil add your pasta and cook until al dente or preferred doneness. When green garlic is very soft add flour and incorporate into the fat until a very thin paste has formed, about one minute. Slowly stir in your cream and milk. Continue cooking until sauce thickens but do not boil. Immediately add arugula until wilted. Remove sauce from heat. Place pasta in serving dish. When sauce has cooled down for a couple minutes add lemon juice, cheese, salt, and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over pasta and garnish with parsley and more cheese.
Arugula and Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Orange Vinaigrette Dressing
A delicious and healthy Blueberry Arugula Salad, with goat cheese, walnuts and honey dressing, the perfect lunch or dinner for hot summer days.
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Stone Ground Mustard
- Pinch Salt/Pepper
- 2 Cups Arugula
- 4-5 Cooked Beets - cut into chunks
- Goat Cheese Crumbles
- 1 Orange - segmented
Combine all ingredients in small jar. Secure jar lid and shake vigorously before serving.
Layer salad ingredients in your preferred amounts. Dress with vinaigrette.
Grilled Shrimp, Orzo, and Arugula Salad
- 2 Cups Arugula
- ½ Cup Blueberries
- ⅓ Cup Walnuts
- ⅓ Cup shredded Goat Cheese
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Honey
- ½ Tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ Tsp Oregano
- a dash of salt and pepper
- For the dressing, mix the lemon juice with the honey, stir well and then add the olive oil, slowly, until combined. Add the oregano, pepper and salt (not too much if the cheese is salty).
- Put arugula in a salad bowl. On top of it add the walnuts, cheese and blueberries.
- Drizzle the dressing and serve immediately.