Hello and welcome to Martin’s Garden at Coleman Farms! Here is some information about the farm:
Property History and Vision:
Mr. Ora Coleman and his extended Coleman family had once owned over 125 acres in the historic district of Roswell. For over 66 years, Ora managed his farm, shared generously and connected to his neighbors, until he passed in 2012.
Our family purchased the land in July 2015 with the hope to restore and extend Mr. Coleman’s goals. The land and his home have been untouched for more than three years. They have now been cleared of heavy underbrush and cobwebs so that our vision is coming into focus.
We are hoping to use this land to:
- Plant a 1.5 acre vegetable garden with approximately 2/3 of the produce being sold to farm-to-table restaurants and farmer’s markets and approximately 1/3 being donated to the Atlanta Community Foodbank. Our goal date for production late Summer 2016.
- Construct a new building that will be our farm manager’s home. The goal completion date for this building is November 2016.
- Build a studio on the beautiful stone foundation of Mr. Coleman’s prior.
- Raise chickens to produce farm fresh eggs.
- If we are successful in our efforts to rezone, we’d like to add a few sheep and goats to be nature’s lawn mowers and possibly a source of milk for fresh goat cheese.
- Also, if approved as part of rezoning, we’d like to sell our vegetables on our property a couple of evenings a week.
- Give our children and their friends a positive way to enjoy the great outdoors.
It is our mission that no less than 30% of what we produce or do on the property will be directed towards charities and helping others.
We are hoping this venture will help us connect to our community and allow us to appreciate and share life’s simple pleasures.